(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Translate

La Frase de mí Tío

"La precisión...no es casualidad"
Enríque García

jueves, 12 de febrero de 2015

Where do you buy your bottle of water?



Evolution and religion. Two ideas, two enemies, two thoughts. Religion, was created by men
to control people. Evolution, a well-studied theory, was written and explained by Charles Darwin
long time ago (I am too lazy to look for the date). Even though these two issues are equally important
(an atheist would agree with me, I am sure!), I have not heard about the word technology, when
these ideas are brought to surface for discussion.

All this mix of incongruous thoughts, came to my mind to be written and shown to you, by
this unique object: a bottle of water. What the hell am I writing about? I am not sure, but I must
continue.

I have not gone out of my country, so I suppose that I have no right to talk about other
nations, behaviours or situations but…as citizens…Where do you buy your bottle of water? I just
wonder because with the appearance of the T.V, as Latin American, I have had the chance of
watching you while you drink water,when you are thirsty. You walk to the kitchen, open your fridge
and grab a simple bottle of water.

Because of this perception, I would like to ask you…

What do you do to find a package of bottles of water? If I may…

Do you know where you might find weed? Or someone who sells it? (Legally or illegally)

Or this one… If I need to buy a book or a car, could you tell me where I can go?

Wait,wait,wait…Why am I bothering you with these silly questions? Actually… Do I have a
point? Sure! Inwee…WAIT! Indeed.

Let me clarify myself. Ever since I watch T.V or any American movie, I get to notice how you
do to set up a party, look for several places to buy a car, whether it is used or new, or even buying
alcohol at the supermarket if you are over 21 years.But you never say or show something (maybe
because it does not matter at all. I believe this is the reason) about getting bottles of water and
putting them in the refrigerator.

-Have I seen a bottle of wine? Certainly.

-Have I seen a cold beer? Sure. I have.

-Have I seen a glass of water? Obviously.

-Have I seen a cup of coffee? Let me check… Sr, yes,Sr!

-Have I seen a can of soda? Well…coke? Sure, why not?

-Have you seen so many of these questions together? Ever?

I can imagine a picture of you, going to the grocery store or a huge supermarket and spending some money. Drinks? –Check. Fruits? –Check. Six pack? –I have been working out since three months ago so…Oh yeah! Ruffles? –Check. Peanut butter? –Double check. Now…

-Where are the bottles of water that everyone buys but are not shown on screen?

Since the appearance of the word technology within language, we tend to solve a problem with an idea, a thought, a possibility, to succeed. Someone created a small, empty container made of plastic. Then, out of nowhere, the top. Technology. That is what I am talking about!Because of that little master piece, now people can maintain liquids within the fridge (as you seem to do with water). Another option, according to T.V, is taking water from the faucet. A new word for my vocabulary:Faucet. Thank you.

In my country, we do not tend to apply these ways to drink water. Every time we are thirsty, we just buy a gallon of 20L (like the ones that constantly are rolling on the floor, broken or not broken, after a truck is crashed by another car on the highway. Too many police series and movies for me, sorry.) As a matter of fact, in this country, you are not going to find little bottles of water within the fridge. It just does not fit with us. So get used to the idea of putting drinking water IN A JAR or you can get closer to a grocery store or a bakery (the ones that you are about to meet in our land) and find your wonderful…priceless…bottle of water.

Two cultures, two ways to quench one’s thirst. Because of that unique object, I started to think about how different we behave. Unfortunately, I still do not know where you buy…your bottle of water….Cheers!

Reinaldo Martínez,2015

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario